Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Friday 30 June 2017

Santutxu FC (Spain)


Santutxu Fútbol Club is a football club from the Basque Country city of Bilbao in Sain who were formed in 1918 after a group of players had played under the title Santutxu FBC from 1914.


The club joined Serie C of local football and moved into a home ground; Campo de Landa Orlegi in 1924, where the team continued to play until 1936 when they vacated the field until 1940.


Santutxu went on to play at Campo de Basoselai, Artxanda, Galdakao, Etxezuri, Zorrozaurre and then Campo de Montefuerte where they shared with CD Peña. The club progressed to the top division of regional football.

The 1964-65 season saw Satutxu move into Campo de Mallona high above the city and overlooking the old town Casco Viejo allowing the club to develop. The club fluctuated between the first and second local divisions until 1970 before progressing to the Regional Preferente.


The club lifted the prestigious Trofeo Hierro in 1973 and 1975 following victories over CD Larramendi and SD Lemona. A junior side was set up to start the 1975-76 season as the club looked to develop further.


The 1979-80 season saw Santutxu win promotion to the fourth tier of Spanish football, as they became members of the Tercera División, where they were placed in Grupo III. The 1985-86 and 1986-87 seasons were spent away from Mallona as the stadium was remodelled.


The club returned having being relegated to the Territorial Preferente Vizcaya through the play-offs against CD Galdakao. Santutxu won the Territorial Preferente title in 1990-91 under coach D Iñaki Dueñas.


The 1992-93 campaign saw the club relegated back to the Preferente, from where the club descended further in 2000-01 down to the 1a regional division. Promotion back to the new top flight División de Honor was won at the first attempt before gradual momentum led to Santutxu regaining their Tercera División after a title win 2005-06.


However, their spell in the fourth tier lasted just one season before the club dropped back down to the División de Honor, where they remained to the completion of the 2009-10 season as another title win was accrued along with promotion back to the fourth tier.


The progression was only made possible by the dedication of the many club coaches and presidents who presided over up to twenty teams representing the club, which produced many youngsters for the first team.


Once back in Grupo IV of the Tercera División, Santutxu established themselves with some steady performances just below mid table in the final standings until the 2016-17 campaign when they finished in the relegation places to return to regional football.


Santutxu FC will play in the División de Honor de Vizcaya in the 2017-18 season.


My visit

Saturday 25th February 2017

To read all about Campo de Mallona and Danok Bat, the youth side that share the facility and my visit there; click here.












No comments:

Post a Comment